Monday 6 April 2015

My Impressions - Tony Big Bikes of Chiang Mai - Adieu and Best of Luck

My initial plan was to ride the Loop West of Chiang Mai and planning was done for same. The plan did not fall through due to lack of riders from India and thankfully was forced to identify other avenues. Had read a lot about riding in North Thailand hills and to tell you the truth, it is part of my top ten places to ride before I retire from biking. Had done five rides of my bucket list and if this was possible it would be the sixth tick off my ticker.
Got reference of Tony Big Bikes in Chiang Mai through excellent reviews from net, approached them, increased my budget a bit and everything fell in place.

Bike - as my plan was to ride with Rekha as my pillion, it was very important to ride a good stable, powerful yet comfortable bike. These guys offered me Honda 500 CBX which was initially rejected by me for a more tourer kind of bike. Duncan promised me excellent pillion comfort and stability and Jeff acknowledged the power and ride viability. Reached Chiang a Mai and first day only took it for a spin. First alone and then with Rekha. I found the bike very stable, with excellent power for short bursts and Rekha found it comfortable as pillion. We decided to stick with recommendations and agreed on the bike. It proved a blessing, as I never felt short of power even on 14 degree uphill slopes, found it light to handle on curves and once got the hang of letting engine ride the downhills as advised by Jeff, found it smooth running bike. Sitting is comfortable for both rider and pillion and gears changing quite smooth.

Accessories - These guys had promised us riding jackets, helmets and gloves with own arrangements for lower protection gears. I got my own communication device and after trying available helmets, which are nearly 20 of them, fixed communicators. Chosen jackets were dry cleaned for us within a day. We were carrying our own riding boots, Rekha had her lower protection wear and I got an old pair from the shop. We were good to go, though riding with borrowed helmets gave us our share of trouble, as we have got accustomed to our own helmets.

Route - This route is all it promises and much more. Where else can one get desolate hill roads in perfect condition, with frequent up and downs and its share of turns and curves. We rode through big towns, small towns, villages, hamlets, jungles, border roads, highways and what have you. One complete all encompassing route with something for appeal for everyone. The route crosses some historic places and with expertise of Jeff at helm we went through amazing hill roads, reached back and beyond roads at end of country where we had to run back and also did not miss the beautiful locations. Jeff also ensured we got right dose of touristee stuff for memoirs and pictures.

Arrangements - I would fail in my duty if I do not mention this aspect of the ride. Hotels booked all along the route were excellent with wifi and other comforts as required. Jeff took care to stop frequently for hydration breaks where it was not that one can have only one thing but as you want a and like its. Lunch breaks were without fail in best restaurants enroute with smiling hostesses to receive us. Evenings were generally left to own selves but except one evening all days we got together and went to the finest and best location, offcourse with recommendations of Jeff, and he was gracious enough to always lead the pack. He made our local tourism experience further enhanced with his knowledge of previous rides and his proficiency in Thai language. He was always willing to sponsor first round and it became a race to pay for one's own food. His advice regarding night bazaars and pubs were spot on.

Tony Big Bikes - One legit business I have experienced after long. Owned and run by Jeff and Duncan, these guys run a tight shop with many options of bikes and scooters. All vehicles are registered with paperwork, they provide sane advice and are helpful as required. All their employees and partners can speak English. They promised us N number of things and in the final tally I believe they gave us N plus few within same budget we had decided upon. Would recommend them blindly to any and all and hope to ride other rides with them.

Thailand - Thai people continue to amaze us. This was Rekha's second trip and fourth for me. The hospitality,kindness, lack of deceit, no malice and smiling faces is the constant reminder of their culture. One needs to go beyond normal tourist places to see and experience their true culture. Thai roads are well maintained in most parts, with generally people having good sense of driving. Lane driving, without horns and giving other the right of way is common place here.

I have to mention Sabuy Guesthouse, run by Tee, a small, perpetually booked place near Tony Big Bikes. They had arranged our accommodation there and we came back after the ride to stay here only. A cute, boutique, clean and well managed staying option with feel of staying in house. All smiles and ever helpful.......

Group - We were very apprehensive of composition of the riding group, as larger group has its own dynamics. We were also not sure what, how will other riders like or dislike. It was extremely nice to ride with Adam and Reeta, who generally liked same things as us and we got along well......Never ending stories of Adam with repertoires from Rekha had all of us amused.

Made some new and good friends, Jeff, Duncan, Adam and Reeta......hope to be in touch and ride together soon. May wind on your shields be always pleasant......

I close this chapter of my trip with appreciation for Tony Big Bikes and thanks to Rekha for bearing with my moods, as I call them riders moods, and continuing to partner me on my personal quests. Than,s to God for giving us this opportunity. 

Hoping for Asian Highway to open early through Myanmar, for a future ride through all these connected countries on my Royal Enfield. 

As I say, 'Follow your Dreams - Always Dream Big'.................


Signing off till next trip.........Gagan and Rekha......

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a write up Gagan - you really have captured the essence of riding in northern Thailand and have reminded me why I love my job so much!

    It was an absolute pleasure to ride and socialize with you, Rekha, Adam & Rita and you're all very welcome to come back on another tour (with a 10% discount as returning customers).

    Ride safe. live. love & enjoy.

    Cheers,

    Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Write-up!! Quite inspiring. Thank you for you effort to sum it up for ppl like us who still need a little push to go ahead with their dreams! Will plan one for myself and if possible with Lalitha and will reach out to you both for finer tips!! Never knew you are equally good to pen it!! and Maam, this is for you....I ve never seen you without a smile!! Thanks n Regards
    Raghu

    ReplyDelete